Cherry Health offers a range of women’s health and wellness services including obstetrics, gynecology, breast and cervical health, mammography, managing menopause, preconception counseling, and infertility. We offer a wide range of treatments including medical gynecology and surgical care of women’s health problems.
Westside Health Center
Maternal Infant Health Program
The Maternal Infant Health Program (MIHP) is a parent support and coaching program for pregnant mothers and infants. If you are pregnant or have a baby under a year old, and are Medicaid eligible, you can receive MIHP as part of your insurance coverage.
MIHP services are provided by a team to support and encourage new parents. Services can be provided in your home, our office, or another place that you choose in the community.
We can help you:
- Feel prepared for your baby’s birth
- Make good choices for you and your baby
- Understand your pregnancy and your baby’s development
- Find medical care for you and your baby
- Find the right resources in the community
MIHP involves a whole team in supporting families.
- Your nurse will answer your questions and give you information about healthy pregnancy and infant development.
- Your social worker will help you adjust to your pregnancy and parenting, handle stress, and find the resources you need.
- The dietitian will help you understand healthy eating for pregnancy and how to feed your baby.
- Community health workers can provide support, encouragement, and education as well as hands-on help connecting to resources in the community.
The community health workers are part of the Strong Beginnings program, which provides enhanced services for African-American and Latina moms participating in MIHP.
If you would like to receive MIHP and Strong Beginnings or learn more, please contact the MIHP Manager at 616.965.8332.
We take pride in serving patients with obstetrical (OB) care at Westside Health Center. We walk along side of you during your pregnancy to ensure you and your baby receive outstanding care. Each and every pregnancy is different, so we strive to individualize care that is unique to your needs.
Choosing a provider for your women’s health, or gynecological (GYN) concerns is a very personal and important decision. At our Westside Health Center location, we have providers who specialize in women’s health services in collaboration with your primary care provider. Whether your need is routine or complex, our women’s health team focuses on your overall well-being.
Some of our GYN services include:
- Family planning, or contraception (birth control)
- Pap smears and pelvic exams
- Diagnostic procedures
- Colposcopies, LEEPS, hysteroscopies
- Endometrial biopsies
Breast and Cervical Cancer Screenings
Breast cancer is most treatable and curable when it is detected early. That’s why we partner with Spectrum Health’s Betty Ford Breast Care Services to provide mammograms on their Mobile Mammography Unit. It is important to have a mammogram every year once you reach 40 years old. Depending on your family history, your risks and your provider’s findings, a mammography may be recommended earlier or more frequently.
Who is eligible for a mammogram screening?
- Any women age 35 or older, including those who are undocumented, is eligible for a mammogram screening.
- Any women age 40 and older may be eligible for our Breast and Cervical Cancer Control Navigation that provides annual breast exams, pelvic exams, pap smears if indicated, and mammograms at no cost to the patient.
We have grant programs to help pay for breast services for those that are insured, underinsured, uninsured or for those without insurance or have high deductibles.
What services do we provide?
- Clinical breast exams, pelvic exams, pap smears and mammograms
- Referrals for diagnostic breast care (those who are having problems with their breast) for all of our patients including those under the age of 40 and males are available through the Spectrum Health Breast Center
- Translation services
Where do we provide services?
Clinical breast exams, pelvic exams and pap smears are done at each of our health centers. Mammograms are done through the Spectrum Health Breast Center and Mobile Mammography Unit.
The Mobile Mammography Unit is located at:
- Heart of the City Health Center every Tuesday
- Montcalm Area Health Center every 3rd Monday
How do I schedule an appointment?
- If you are a new patient, please call Central Registration at 616.965.8308 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to schedule a medical appointment.
- If you are a current medical patient or would like to learn more about this program, please contact the Women’s Health Program Coordinator at 616.965.8200 ext. 7099 or the Women’s Health Clerical Assistant at 616.965.8282 ext. 7373.
- Mammograms on the Mobile Mammography Unit are scheduled from 8:45 – 11:15 a.m. and 1 – 4 p.m.