We know that sleep problems can cause some forms of obesity, irritability, memory problems, immune concerns, anxiety and depression. Check out this article with a list of 10 things we can do to promote a good night’s sleep:
1. Understand that every person needs at least 7 to 8 hours of sleep per night.
2. Develop a sleep hygiene plan that becomes routine every night, if possible.
3. Get rid of your television and itechnology in your bedroom.
4. Go to bed at the same time every night.
5. Do not eat a heavy meal before bedtime, but do eat some small carbohydrate before bed.
6. Exercise daily but not at night.
7. Avoid emotional conversations or arguments right before going to bed.
9. Don’t nap during the day…exercise instead.
10. If you can’t sleep, get up and clean your toilet instead or wash your floors.
Ronald Christian Rivera, LMSW
Leonard Street Counseling Center